Tuesday, January 23, 2018

GUEST POST: Benicia Letters Once More: He Was a Good Man

By James Garrett
Special to the Herald


The following "letter" is part of the continuing series from the unpublished novel by James Garrett, "Benicia Letters Once More". He does not plan to publish the book but instead is choosing to share the letters with the readers of the Benicia Herald. The letters continue the storyline of Garrett's first novel "Benicia and Letters of Love". Each "letter" tells of love in one of its many forms from a separate point of view. Benicia is represented prominently in the letters because of Garrett's deep fondness for the city of Benicia. He hopes readers see themselves or others they know in the letters because the concept of "Love" is universal.

Dear Mr. Garrett,
   There was a man I met long ago and talked with many times over the years. I never thought we were close. We knew each other for years, had lunch together occasionally, and told each other of our history. That was all it was. I knew his family and he knew mine, but there was never any socializing between the families. He and I were just guys going through life. We watched each other's sons play for Benicia High over the years. Our sons were never teammates because my son matriculated prior to his.
   After he died his wife came by the house. We probably sat and talked for two hours. I learned he liked to hear me whistle. I told her he taught me the way to make a certain type of sandwich.
   Our visit came to an end. As we walked to the front door, I told her if she ever needed anything, with which I could help, I'd do the best I could.
   She replied she and her husband always knew that about me. Then she said something which remains with me today and always will. She said her husband had loved me. I never knew. I just thought we were two guys who spent a little time together over the years.
   I didn't understand until years later that I loved him also and miss the times we shared. We didn't always agree. Maybe that was part of the love we shared. He was a good man. I'm proud to have known him and to have shared those times together we were allowed by fate to have. I would have liked to have had more. Perhaps I would have understood while he lived that he loved me and I loved him.
Scott

James Garrett is a lifelong resident of Benicia and a former teacher at Benicia High School. He is the author of the following novels: “Benicia and Letters of Love,” “The Mansion Stories,” “Chief Salt,” and “One Great Season, 9-0!” He also compiled a three-volume work titled “The Golden Era: Benicia High School Football, The 1948 through 1960 Seasons, “A” History with Comments.” 
He can be contacted at jgstoriesnpoetry@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment