Monday, May 23, 2016

SUMMER OF '09 ARCHIVES: Tannery undergoes major changes

This was one of three story ideas I pitched when I got the job. I don't remember what the other two were, but Christi suggested I flesh this one out. This was at a time when it felt like the historic Tannery building was really feeling the sting of the recession. A good number of its businesses had moved elsewhere on First Street or just shuttered completely. For a while it was looking like the Tannery would never recover and would be foreclosed upon at any minute. Thankfully, it seems to have bounced back. Char's moved back to its original location, and they've acquired a number of new tenants to keep it operational. However, the Tannery Grill that I kept mentioning in the article never actually opened. To this day, I still don't think that space had been filled.

This was the first semi-investigative piece I'd done, and I'm quite proud of how it turned out.




No comments:

Post a Comment